Sunday, November 15, 2009

NOVEMBER GARDEN BLOGGERS' BLOOM DAY


The photo above was taken on trip to wine country. I guess I was stopping to....tie my shoe and got a faceful of roses.

Here's whats in bloom in my San Francisco garden:
An elegant pink hibiscus...
...Mexican Sage
Eggplant blossoming...
...Last Sunflower this season.

This final one is not a flower bloom...I found it as a cutting from a scraggly plant in a diner; it was only a few leaves then, maybe 2" long. I put it in water to root it, potted it up, fed it my worm poo tea of course, and a few months later it took off with the beauty of a bloom. The underside of her leaves are a dark gem-like purple. I've even begun propagating her own rootable offshoots!

3 comments:

  1. We call that plant "Moses in a Cradle". I looked it for its latin name... Dave's Garden says...
    Tradescantia spathacea. It is a pretty plant to put in a dish garden. The more sun it gets, the darker purple the backside of the plant. Happy Gardening!

    kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kathy! I'll have to read more about it in my garden dictionary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The roses you came across look really pretty.But I had a question-Do roses actually grow so very big even in pots?

    ReplyDelete

LEAVE A COMMENT