Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Verdant House

{Originally Posted On 07/28/08}

My computer recently kicked the bucket, so I apologize for the hiatus.
Soooo... as promised I am including a photo of the greenhouse we have on our deck. It's pretty simple, 5X5 plastic with a little window for ventilation. It was about $150 at home depot, not a bad deal.
As talked about in the previous blog entry, the 2nd floor deck gets a great deal of wind exposure. It also receives a generous amount of sun. If not for the wind, it would be an ideal space for sun loving flowers and vegetables. Now the greenhouse is not big enough really to host full-grown veggie plants and such(though I do have a couple bell pepper plants I intend to keep in there), but it is the perfect place to start and nurture seeds, propagate plant cuttings, and shelter the potted plants on the deck on a windy day.

The greenhouse is a bit emptier now than it was when I went full-force sowing in the spring. I started my tomatoes, basil, cucumbers, and summer squash in there before transplanting into the downstairs garden. I also had to give some away as I got a little carried away with the seed planting, as I often do.

All in all, it's a great investment for my urban garden!